Friday, August 19, 2011

More Wildflowers

This is a beautiful time of the year! The days are pleasantly warm although the nights are still chilly enough to need a couple of blankets on the bed. I went for another walk where I had seen all the wildflowers a couple of weeks ago. Close to the car park on the top of the hill the best of the flowers were finished but as we walked down the hill to the more swampy flats below there were flowers everywhere. They stretched in sheets of color on both sides of the track. I didn't take close-up photos of these yellow ones but I think they were pultanaea villosa.
We saw a number of plants of these Queensland Wax Flowers (Philotheca myoporoides subsp.queenslandica). Thanks Denis for showing me how beautiful close-up photos can be.
I saw more Boronia rosmarinifolia - which I photographed last time - and then as we got onto the lower area I saw these Boronia falcifolia.
This flower is Hibbertia linearis - I think! - and there was a little native bee on it. When I photographed the bee from a different angle it appears to be carrying something under its abdomen - and I wonder if they are eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions about this and is it normal behavior for these insects?We walked as far as some waterholes on one of the creeks. The reflections were perfect!

8 comments:

  1. oh, that last shot is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TexWisGirl. We thought it was well worth the walk down there - the walk back though was a bit of a bother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely wild flowers there. I was wondering if the bee had an infestation of mites of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, glad you liked our wildflowers. That's an interesting idea about mites on the bee. I had never thought about that. I just don't know enough about native bees to even know if they get mites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the waterhole photo. The reflections are wonderful. Great flower shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks JM - it's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ONce again I am so in awe of you knowing everything about all of these wildflowers. I love to take pictures of them, but know the names of very few -- and although I have a book it seems I can never find them. Your pictures as always are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sallie, I don't know a lot about the wildflowers but I have a very knowledgeable friend! Sometimes I am able to take her out on walks through the bush and other times I bring back lots of photos and she ID's them from those. Many thanks indeed to Helen.

    ReplyDelete