Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shorebirds at Inskip Point

I went out to Inskip Point the other afternoon to see what birds were around. As I came to the end of the point I saw quite a large flock of terns and shorebirds on the sand. There was constant traffic going by out to the barges but the birds seemed quite happy to sit at the edge of the water. I went closer to get photos. I saw Crested Terns, Caspian Terns, and a couple of Common Terns. The other birds were Bar-tailed Godwits. Some were preening but most just looked sleepy!
Please Don't Disturb! The tide was coming in and as the little waves came in the birds furthest out pushed the others in a bit. Some even fluttered up and found a place closer in.
Move over and let me in! While photographing the rest of the flock I noticed a few smaller birds in among the others. They moved and I saw they were Curlew Sandpipers. I counted four.Then I moved slowly away so I did not disturb any birds and started walking across the point to where you can see down the channel to the open ocean. I was watching my feet as I stepped over the wheel tracks made by the vehicles driving out to the barges. Suddenly there was movement in front of me and I saw that there was a large flock of little birds down in among the wheel tracks and the dried seaweed and sticks.Every time a vehicle came by they flew and moved a little.I saw Red-capped Plovers, Red-necked Stints, and Double-banded Plovers but when I looked more closed at the photos when I got home I also found a few more Curlew Sandpipers with them. There is one Curlew Sandpiper in the photo above - on the left at the rear.
One Curlew Sandpiper on the left, Red-necked Stint in front, and Double-banded plovers behind. I did eventually get over the sand to where I could see out to the open ocean.

5 comments:

  1. Some birds don't seem to mind traffic. Often easier to drive up than to walk up on them. But beaches and autos don't generally mix well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony, yes I remember you telling some time ago in one of your posts about how the birds let you get closer in your car. I would need a good big 4 wheel drive out at Inskip and I wouldn't really enjoy the costs of running it! OR buying it in the first place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mick
    .
    I am surprised that vehicles have to drive over the sand to get to the barges.
    .
    Makes it impossible to argue for banning vehicles from the beaches if that's the case.
    .
    Have you seen Russell Constable's Ella Bay Forever blog? He is in constant battle with the Council and the Environment Dept on just that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denis, well the vehicles certainly don't need to drive everywhere that they do! There's a long established habit of beach driving up here and the place has been marketed to tourists this way for a very long time - which of course makes it even harder to do anything about it. Tourism brings in a lot of money! The other big problem is monitoring all the beaches - and that's an impossible job with the few staff available. I have found the people from DERM and also the Parks staff very helpful - but it is a huge area to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Denis, yes I do read Russel Constable's blog. It's interesting and disturbing too.

    ReplyDelete