Friday, January 15, 2010

First Breeding Color

Yesterday was another beautiful day with an early high tide. I kayaked around to the Mullens bird roost where there was a good variety of shorebirds. Before I got anywhere near the roost I could see birds flying up from behind the trees. When I got around to the roost I soon saw a Whistling Kite flying over the roosting birds then calling loudly as it zoomed away. Of course all the birds flew up and then resettled somewhere else. Each time I thought I would be able to approach some of the birds without disturbing them the Kite flew over again and the birds disturbed and flew off again.
I saw Bar-tailed Godwits, Eastern Curlews, Great Knots, Lesser and Greater Sand Plovers, Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Pacific Golden Plovers, Red-necked Stints and Red-capped Plovers. The larger birds were roosting in flocks together and the smaller birds were off by themselves on dry land in amongst the saltmarsh plants.
The really exciting find of the day was a Godwit going into breeding color. This is the first one I have seen this season. Sorry for the quality of the photo! It's the only view I had of this bird.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Mick, Great to see the colours on the Godwit ...... it sounds like the Whistling Kite made your morning rather frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, it would have been even more frustrating if I had been trying to count. As it was I was just enjoying the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's early colouring up, isn't it? Surprised a kite causing so much concern among the roosting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a little early to see so much color. However, it was the only one I could see in the flock of several hundred. The kite was being a real pest - and shrieking after every swoop over the flock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole, I agree - and just wait until I can get a photo in full breeding plumage. It's absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day,

    I understand your excitement over seeing shorebirds coming into their eclipse and breeding plumages. Last week I saw a single Red-necked Stint with a single orange'ish feather. I thought that was great until 2 days later I saw a Bar-tailed Godwit in full breeding plummage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mark - full breeding plumage! Wow! We have the mid-summer count this week-end so will have to keep a good watch out for any more like that up here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you the count goes well. Actually I made a mistake, it was a Black-tailed Godwit. Piccies are here; http://myoungbirding.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mark. Those are really great clear photos of the Black-tailed Godwit. We do not see them up here on the roosts in the bay - they possibly go to the Inskip roost but we seldom get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mick
    I've never seen the Godwit in colour.
    Very handsome indeed.
    Photo definitely worth showing to those of us not able to get out there with you.
    much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denis, I hope I can get some more photos a little later in the season when the birds show a lovely dark red all down the front. For now - it's a reminder that summer will soon be over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh come on, Mick
    It is surely a sign that the birds are getting ready to PARTY!
    OK it does mean that will mean they are going away, for their summer, but lets not get too depressed already!
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denis, I think you can tell that winter is NOT my favorite season :-)

    ReplyDelete