Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wings


There are many hundreds and even thousands of migratory Terns on the beaches here at present. The photos below are all of Common Terns (Sterna hirundo). They spend the summer here before flying back to the northern hemisphere where they breed. We get a brief look at some breeding plumage when they first arrive and just before they leave. At present they are in non-breeding plumage but their moult is well-advanced. Most have only one or two primary feathers in their wings to moult – although one of the pictures shows a bird with three primaries still to moult. The photos of birds with their wings spread flying – or about to – are great for moult ID but I think are beautiful just as photos. I like the length, shape, and color of the wings, especially when seen against a blue sky!
Thanks to Jill Dening for teaching me about these birds and introducing me to the complexity of the moult sequence.
For great bird photographs visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

16 comments:

  1. Lively pictures, Mick. You're fortunate having Jill's guidance to the subtleties of ID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony - and I know how lucky I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just second Tony's comment Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mick
    I notice the two birds with their wings held up, are doing a little dance, "in step" with eachother.
    Cute image.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mick, thanks for sharing! Terns are so beautiful and I'm envious that you see so many of them. Great photos too! The synchronized landing is very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terns are cool. They look a bit menacing, with that dark face mask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and commenting Tilcheff and Sparverius. The more I photograph terns the more I am learning about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love terns, they are a fun lot to watch.

    Great shots and good birding to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous captures Mick! Is there anything more beautiful than a bird on the wing? I think not. And the Tern's wing shape makes them even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting and commenting Birdfreak and Larry. I agree that Terns in flight are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. G'day Mick,
    Lovely work. 'Common' by name, beautiful by nature I reckon.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gouldiae, I have no idea why they are called "common" - doesnt' seem too appropriate to me either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful birds. Nice photos of them. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terns are beautiful birds, but I wish they weren't so noisy and raucous in a large flock. I will admit they are fun and funny to watch, especially when they scold other species. ;o)

    ReplyDelete