Monday, December 12, 2011

Shorebird Count at Crab Creek

The other day I kayaked over to the Crab Creek roost with friends to do a count of the shorebirds. We counted almost 400 birds with the majority being Bar-tailed Godwits. The Godwits were lined up along the sandspit with most standing out in the water a little way. I was doing a second check on the bird count when I thought I saw something different. Finding one different bird among a couple of hundred others is not easy so I took lots of photos. There was definitely one bird that was smaller and moving differently from the Godwits but it was not until I got the photos home and had a good look that I could definitely ID it as a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.
On the way back to the boat ramp I took a photo of the other kayakers with me. Sitting down so close to the water gives a different perspective to the everything else on the water.
For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

5 comments:

  1. A great find there Mick. While I see plenty of godwits in the UK I have only ever seen one Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharp-tailed Sandpiper? I never even heard of it. Good of you to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 tiny little lost soul among the hundreds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some excellent sighting. Great shots. Makes me want to visit a shoreline...any shoreline....soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! while our world is looking so brown and frosty right now, yours is looking so warm and BLUE!

    ReplyDelete