Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lesser Sand-Plovers

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

Although the tide wasn't yet full, it had already covered most of the Mullens roost site.
The smaller shorebirds were having to move from where they had first roosted and these ones flew in just ahead of me. They were not sure that they really wanted to be that close to me but when I stayed very still they settled down and let me get some good photos. They are Lesser Sand-Plovers (Charadrius mongolus) which also used to be called Mongolian Dotterels. This is their non-breeding plumage.

15 comments:

  1. Great shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cute birds, it is nice that they allowed you to be close. I love the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such lovely photos; love the line up and the reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots! The reflections are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You caught some nice Beauties here!
    Wouldn't mind seeing a flock of them :-)
    Need to get my butt down to the beach again too, but besides some Black-headed Gulls and the occasional Plover, there's not much going on right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart shore birds, brilliant site when large numbers of shore birds start to roost

    It also means that your generally in a lovely location

    Win-Win

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice shots Mick. I don´t think I have seen this one before. Being on these memes is really educational. :)

    Happy New Year to you and your family. From a not snowy Sweden this year. So far I better say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely birds! So glad they weren't disturbed by your presence...enjoyed seeing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures and admire your knowledge -- I really have trouble with shorebirds IDs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots!
    Love the last shot too.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shots! I like the reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess you did get some nice pictures, way to fit in!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely reflections...there is something about the word plover that sounds funny...thank you for stopping by and have a very nice New Year..Michelle

    ReplyDelete