Sunday, December 18, 2011

Australian Wood Duck

This post is for the Bird Photography Weekly.

Over the last few weeks there have been several groups of Australian Wood Ducks (Chenonetta jubata) wandering along the side of the road. I have been in the car driving somewhere or other and no camera with me until the other day when this group was walking along immediately opposite my house. I don't know what they were finding to eat right there but they were all pecking at something!
This is a male
This is a female .
By the way - they might look nice in the photos but if a group decides to spend the night on your driveway they leave quite a mess to clean up the next morning!

7 comments:

  1. ha ha!

    they are beautiful! such tiny little bills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome birds. They almost look as if related to Muscovy ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wood ducks are such beautiful (and occasionally aggro) birds! You know, with these photos and those lovely portraits of the whistling kite, you're starting to make me pine for the SE. (I resisted typing 'fjords'.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great bird I have not seen before. Of course tho have them in your garden is probably not so nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oretty birds, very different from the wood ducks here in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful portrait shots, Mick.
    Well done.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete