Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Massed Shorebirds

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

I went out to Inskip Point soon after sunrise this morning. At that hour of the morning I was lucky to find shorebirds and terns all over the point and no people to disturb them. Even the car ferry for Fraser Island arrived after I did.
I estimated there were 1000+ shorebirds strung out along the water line on the southern side of the point and flocks of terns and small shorebirds roosting in the dry sand of the point in among the flotsam that is always washed up and left by the tide.
At first it seemed that there were only Bar-tailed Godwits in the flock on the southern side. Some of them were getting a faint wash of red breeding color down their frontsGradually it was possible to see others. There were Common Greenshanks roosting a little away from the Godwits and standing in slightly deeper water.
Then I saw slightly smaller birds in among the Godwits and I focused in on that part of the flock.
It was easy to see Great Knots. Some of them were getting their more heavily marked breeding colors. (Great Knots and one Bar-tailed Godwit in the rear.)
There were also numbers of Curlew Sandpipers.
They are never as easy to see as they like to roost even more closely among the Godwits. Sometimes all you can see is a smaller set of legs and part of a small bird in behind the Godwit.

21 comments:

  1. love these sweet beauties. lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great group!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful sight to see shore birds in numbers..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shore birds! That ferry is cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful vista with the shorebirds; lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. seeing them like this a question comes to mind. Why does some of them have their bills curved upwords and other downwords? I guess I´ll never find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing shots of the shorebirds. It is cool to see large flocks of different birds together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos! You have a great eye seperating that bunch.
    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice images. I so rarely see the wading birds that I have to bring an image home and check my guides in order to identify them. They all seem so similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sandpipers. Great captures, Mick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots, I have always liked shorebirds, especiallu the sandpipers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there - working your way through a flock like this is a real blast! At times I think it's easier to ID the birds in mixed flocks than when you find them on their own. Splendid group shots.

    I decided not to tell the world that the Magpie Larks can be a bit of a pain if they live in your garden! Just doing my bit for tourism!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots Mick.
    I always have trouble with shorebird ID's; but that's part of the fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing "whole bunches" of shorebirds! Your pictures make me smile -- so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooohhh they are so sweet!! great close ups!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Birds of a feather flock together and welcome company. :)
    Wonderful shots and thanks for sorting out the species for us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots!! The last close up is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. I dont think I've seen so many birds together around my place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...gosh...I loved seeing all the Godwits. I haven't been near the ocean since last June, and I really miss seeing the beautiful shorebirds in numbers. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete