Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Morning Walk

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

I had another set of bird photos all ready to post for World Bird Wednesday - but - after an early morning walk down at the shoreline this morning I decided to try and show why I keep watching shorebirds.
I didn't get any great clear or close-up photos. It was just a beautiful morning and great to watch shorebirds going about their "birdy" business in a peaceful environment.
The sun came up and then disappeared behind a bank of clouds for a while.
The tide had been full before I got down there and as it started to fall the shorebirds flew in from their roost and began hunting for food in the shallow water and the soft sand. The first birds I saw were Bar-tailed Godwits.
I heard numbers of Eastern Curlews but these birds are never easy to get close to. This one flew in to feed close to some Godwits.
Further along the shoreline I could see a smaller bird busily dashing through the shallow water and then stopping to peck up whatever it had disturbed. I eventually got close enough to see that it was a Marsh Sandpiper.
This soldier crab ran away just ahead of me and then decided it would be safer to dig under the sand for a while.
The bush at the edge of the bay looked clear and crisp in the early morning light.
It was a great start to what promises to be another very hot day.

20 comments:

  1. such cool bills on those shorebirds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots of the birds and that sunrise is beautiful! Nice reflection on the water.
    I enjoyed the Curlew in flight and the crab and his shadow.
    Hope your day kept getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful bird ans the photos are great. My favorite is the Curlew in flight. And the sunrise is gorgeous. Great captures and post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos, Mick, and the bills on all those birds! Your scenery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shorebirds too, but I have a nightmare trying to ID some of them lol
    Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bill on the Curlew is amazing! Are you sure the Soldier Crab isn't running from his own shadow..great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were I to live near the ocean you would find me there every day watching the shore birds looking to see what had washed up on the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful shore birds, and I agree with T they do have very interesting looking bills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, mick. I'd be tempted to dip my toes in the water while watching the birds. Hope the day wasn't too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful series of photos!
    Thanks for sharing your morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid picture - I think I would have got rather excited about the sandpiper!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots, Mick!
    I changed my post at the last minute after a successful drive out to Lake Wivenhoe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had a place like that close to where I live. But I don´t. It seems so peaceful to be there watching them.

    Sorry to say Mick, but the word verification is awful. I had to choose new words three times before I could read both of them. I have to check if mine is like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great sequence !! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful images of all the birds the Curlew flight shot is superb.
    I love the little crab..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post Mick. The capture of the crab with its shadow is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful golden sunrise, and the waders and especially the crab are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great images Mick! I love the reflections and the flight shot.

    I did & said exactly the same this week. Had a post ready but a day out at Lake Wivenhoe and some surprise raptor photographs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post Mick! There is a sense of majesty and calmness to this entire set of photos. You've caught something really special here. There is a spaciousness to them that is tangible. WOW!

    ReplyDelete