Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Terns at Inskip

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

While I was out at Inskip Point yesterday afternoon I saw a small flock of terns roosting on the sand at the point.
Crested Terns have been away nesting on islands off the coast but this flock had a mixture of birds at all stages. Some were in scruffy looking non-breeding plumage, there were a few that had almost full breeding plumage and there were some very noisy juveniles as well. I also saw two Little Terns which looked extra small standing in among the much larger Crested Terns.
I always think that Crested Terns are extra noisy and this flock was noisy and unsettled. Birds kept flying off and then coming back to rest again. This is a juvenile bird.
This photo shows why the flock was so disturbed. I was focused on the bird that was closer to me but the one in the background has a fish in its beak.

22 comments:

  1. love the top shot with several of them having wings overhead. they're such beauties (since i don't have to listen to their noise!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great action shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could sit and watch these beautiful birds all day.. many thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy watching Terns, they are one of my favorite shorebirds. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, Mick. I love terns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful images. I like the top shot the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pics make me dream about sunny waters and bright white flights around me. And that's a beautiful image. Love your flight shots against the sparkling waters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great photographs, especially like the one taking off ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots of the Terms Mick. The first photo of the flock on the sandbar, some with their wings up and the in-flight shot of the juvenile are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weather looks much nicer than ours, Mick. Love the flight shots! The fish in the bill is a nice catch even if you were focused on the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there - if you want noise, you should try walking through a nest colony banding the chicks! It would cause industrial deafness if you did it every day!

    Nice set of pictures.

    Stewart M - Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty birds -- love the one in flight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I posted the Crested Tern a few weeks ago but nothing like these shots!! Love the actions shots, Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is really a big difference in size between the terns. Great shots of the little tern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so regal looking. We don't have them here, so enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are wonderful shots of birds I have never seen..love the one with the fish in the mouth....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like Tex, I love the ones with their wings spread in the first shot.
    Wonderful series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are lovely, and your shots are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As graceful as they look in flight, on land they seem unproportioned and a little clumsy. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must be wonderful to watch a big flock relatively close. Yes, noisy fellows, but so beautiful :-)!

    ReplyDelete