Wednesday, February 22, 2012

White-throated Honeyeaters

This post is for World Bird Wednesday

Because I have a number of Grevilleas planted in my garden I have a number of honey eating birds all year round. However, the White-throated Honeyeater (Melithreptus albogularis) only comes intermittently and I am never quite sure when they will appear in the garden again. More recently they have been coming whenever it was wet and windy - definitely not the weather to take the camera outside! So when they came into the trees the other day and it was fine and sunny I dropped what I was doing and went outside. They stayed just long enough for me to get a few pictures and now - once again! - they have gone.

23 comments:

  1. how very pretty! nice looking birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really attractive!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful captures Mick.. it's a lovely bird I wasn't aware of.. so many thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they really eat honey from the bee hives? Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bright and beautiful looking bird! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bird. I really do love the colorful birds. Your photos are awesome. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a colorful little bird, it kinda reminds me of a woodpecker, only yellow instead of red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting looking bird. Beautiful closeups!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous captures! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful birds, and another one that I have never heard of before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work. You must have been so pleased to have noticed them when you did. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love their coloring.
    Nicely captured Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty birds, wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got some truly great shots! Such cute looking birds! We have the bee-eaters throughout summer but I don't think I've seen honey-eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's a lovely bird -- the male is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous birds, Mick! Nicely colored!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did get some good shots. I liek the coloring of this bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are such pretty little birds. Wonderful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there - splendid set of pictures.

    I've never managed to a good image of the smaller honeyeaters - Keep trying seems to the message!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning bird Mick and very well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely gorgeous birds and photography!
    A pity I can't sign in as a member! :(
    But I will be back! LOL!
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete