Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mischief Intended?

Those Wicked White Ones - i.e. Sulphur-crested Cockatoos - have been demolishing my half ripe Passionfruit again. So, when I saw this one sitting in a tree close to the Passionfruit vine I went down to watch. The Cockatoo just sat and watched me for a while, then flew off.
There were also a number of them sitting in the pine tree next door. There must have been several juveniles there because there was quite a fuss going on with the juveniles giving their harsh begging cries. They flew off before I could get close enough to work out which ones were making the begging noises and this was the only one left. I wonder if it is a juvenile?
Update: My friend with the Brown Honeyeater's nest in her yard phoned on Friday to say that she was watching out her window and had just seen two baby fledglings leaving the nest.
Update 2: Have you noticed that the photos in the last few posts have not been quite as sharp and clear as I would want them? My DSLR is away getting 'fixed' and I am back using my old Canon S2. What a difference! Hope I get the DSLR back soon!

For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

16 comments:

  1. Nice to look at, but they're destructive blighters!

    I can't imagine the racket that begging cockatoo chicks make. Is it better or worse than the sound of their parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Snail, the chicks are not quite as loud but just as raucous! There were five birds in my yard this afternoon until I disturbed them. They just tear everything to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cannot imagine having a flock of them in my yard! they're beauties though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good photos. Being far away from living with wild cockatoos it's hard to believe they can be a nuisance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these parrots!! I am laughing right now thinking about all the mischief they must get into....you are so lucky to have them flying around your garden.....well then again...maybe not:) But I love seeing parrots fly free in the wild. Great pics even though they aren't up to your inspection:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For all the nuisance they cause, they are beautiful birds, with their sweeping crests, their regal posture and their coy looks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Texwisgirl, Dreamfalcon, Rohrerbot,and Hilke, thanks for commenting. I agree that they are beautiful and that its much nicer seeing birds fly free. However, they are big and noisy and destructive. I watched them sit in one of my trees yesterday and break of all the small top branches where they sitting. I certainly don't want them to think that they should visit my place every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is kind of sad. I mean you love thsoe birds and then their behavior is that they spoil things for you. But they do look good with the sulphur feather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi NatureFootstep, I could possibly put up with one in my yard but there is a flock of at least 40+ that flies overhead most mornings - and with a family group of 5 or 6 that came in the other day I'm pretty sure they would soon invite the rest of them in. Can you imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just imagine how noisy (and destructive) a flock of cockatoos can be. But, they are indeed such cute creatures! Love' em and hate 'em at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bob. You are right - lovely to look at but a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly got some beautiful shots of the "Wicked Ones" Mick! I'm glad my yard birds are much less destructive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's pretty exotic Mick - Passion Fruit and Cockatoos. Great pictures. By the way here in the UK the BTO have a scheme for ringing participants called RAS (Retrapping Adults for Survival) which targets returning migrant adults in order to investigate population dynamics and survival. Unfortunately adult Swallows are difficult to catch year on year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Larry, I can't imagine the birds you describe on your blog being destructive like these ones!
    Hi Phil, the RAS scheme sounds very interesting and useful and I can imagine that adult swallows would be hard to re-trap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The photos still look good to me. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mike. But I'll be much happier when I get the DSLR back!

    ReplyDelete