Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bayside

For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

The bayside looks and sounds so very empty during the winter. During the summer there are groups of shorebirds feeding at the edge of the tide as it comes in. When I was walking down at Mullens the other morning I didn't see any migratory shorebirds at all out on the sand.
The only bird I saw was a White-faced Heron which kept moving ahead of me as I walked along. Eventually it stopped out on a little rocky island and I was able to get close enough for a photo.
This photo of a White-faced Heron was taken some time ago. This one had become used to fishermen at a boat ramp and allowed me to get quite close.

15 comments:

  1. he's very pretty! neat looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Texiswisgirl. Nice looking - but has the usual raucous heron voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty heron indeed. Nice to get a close up like that.

    Our 'canal' grey herons are also quite tame. Best friends with the anglers here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of a WF Heron :D
    He's gorgeous & lucky you to have found him.
    And yes, the bay looks odd without all the birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gwendolen, these herons are quite common here too but not easy to get close to - except around the fishing ramps.

    Thanks Amila.

    Hi Nicole, just another Aussie bird to show a visitor :-) Right now the bay is like visiting an empty house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love herons Mick, and that's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...the White-faced Heron is a gorgeous bird, and it's new to me. I'd love to see one in person some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the feeling. That is really an empty place. The heron is very beautiful. It looks so graceful and elegant. Great shot Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks NatureFootstep. It's strange to see it all so empty after seeing how much this same environment supports all during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really nice heron Mick. Our autumn waders are starting to come back already in mid June and it seems only a few weeks ago they went north.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Phil, that sounds very early for shorebirds to be getting ready to come south again. I wonder how long they take to reach their wintering grounds? Shorebirds usually reach us down here in about September.

    ReplyDelete