Thursday, November 18, 2010

Frogmouth - update 2

I first posted photos of the Tawny Frogmouths in the nest on October 27. I posted a second photo of them on November 9. They have certainly grown bigger since then! When I looked up at the nest this time one of the juveniles was sitting up in front of the adult. I went to the other side of the nest and there was another juvenile lying down along a branch by the adult. However, when I went to get in the car and leave there were two little heads peering at me over the branch. I don't know if baby number one had joined baby number two or if there are maybe three up there. They looked just as curious about me as I was about them.

14 comments:

  1. Those are so cool! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Birding is Fun. It's nice to be able to see them at all stages of their development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my that last photo is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, especially the last one. Amazing how much the shape of the beak is going to change as they develop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are just wonderful. I'm with the group, I love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nickolay. Your recent post about the bird linocuts is fantastic! Very exciting to have an artist use your photos as the start of their own artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an awesome series, Mick. So neat! Really love that third photo. These birds are fascinating, really want to see one some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for commenting Kerri, and Johnny Nutcase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From looking at the Oct 2 photo My guess is that the chicks are only 1 or 2 days old then. If that guess is correct, and they spend th usual amount of time being brooded they should leave the nest on 29th or 30th of November. So you have a few more days to build up the photo collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info Flabmeister. I had no idea of the age of the chicks and wondered how long they would stay on the nest. I must go back and try for some more photos.

    ReplyDelete