Thursday, November 25, 2010

Flowers and Birds

Yesterday, I went for a walk along the path beside Schnapper Creek that is often called the flower walk. Everything down there was very wet but also very green with all the recent rain. The most beautiful flowers that we found were these little Christmas Candles (Burmannia disticha) which were growing right where I had found some a couple of years ago.
I also saw a number of Native Lasiandra shrubs (Melastoma malabathricum) which were making a beautiful splash of color among the Paperbark trees.
There were birds everywhere - but unfortunately most of them did not have time to sit and have their photos taken. The only ones that came close were a couple of Peaceful Doves (Geopelia striata) that were walking along the path towards me and were very busy picking at seeds from the side of the path.

8 comments:

  1. The Burmannia is interesting. Not familiar with it at all.
    Lovely Peaceful Doves.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denis, the Burmannia is not all that common around here either. The Peaceful Doves, however, are common but I do like to photograph them! I like the blue color around the eyes and head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely markings on the dove.
    Nice to see your cheerful flowers as snow falls here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, it's a very big world and so much contrast between the two hemispheres! I think the snow would be nice to look at for Christmas but I am very glad I don't have to live with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dove. They remind me a little of our Mourning Doves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike, they are a pretty bird aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Dove is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete