Sunday, December 13, 2009

Searching for Shorebirds

There was an early high tide this morning and almost no wind - perfect conditions for a kayak. I decided to search for birds which have been flying off from a roost before I can either get a good view or count them.
First - because I am putting this post up on the Bird Photography Weekly Website I will post a photo of the only shorebird I got close to this morning - a Grey-tailed Tattler. Now for some details and scenic photos of my kayak trip.
I am first posting an image from Google Earth where I have marked the points where I kayaked. Google Earth makes this easy by allowing you to save the image you are viewing as a jpg image. All images can be clicked on and enlarged.
(1.) I set off from the Mullens Creek Picnic area and paddled out to the area we know as the "Airport Roost" (2.) However, before I even got that far a flock of Grey-tailed Tattlers had flown overhead and disappeared up into the Mullens Creek area. We haven't yet found out what is frightening off all the birds from this roost this year. The "Airport" roost only had a couple of Pied Oystercatchers left roosting on the sand so I set off for the other side of the bay.

(3.) It is quite a distance across here - I estimate about 1 1/2 Kms - but a pleasant paddle with calm conditions. From this point you can look further south to the Carland Creek area which is the most southerly portion of the Great Sandy Strait.
I have previously found birds roosting along the sand spit here but this morning there was nothing to be seen. I pulled the kayak up on the sand and walked behind the front line of mangroves and found a bigger area than I had expected. Most of it was very low lying and partly covered with the tide although there were several more sand spits intersecting the area. It was all more or less covered with different kinds of mangroves. I was wandering around and watching the Mangrove Honeyeaters which were flying around when I heard a soft call and recognized the call of Terek Sandpipers. These were the birds I had hoped to find. They were well hidden among the mangroves and I doubt that I would have seen them without first hearing them call. However, they obviously could see me and I had time to get one photo - good enough only for ID - before they flew off. I counted about 40-50 birds. This is the only part of the Southern Great Sandy Strait where I have seen these birds.
I paddled back across the bay and then up into Mullens Creek (4.) which is another area filled with mangroves.
Once again I heard birds before I saw them - this time Grey-tailed Tattlers. They were roosting in mangrove trees which had very open branches to give them a good view of whatever was around. I counted 30+birds. 70-80 total birds is not a huge number for this roost and not as many as we have counted on previous years. Now that I know for sure where the birds are flying off to I will need to repeat this same kayak trip in another few weeks.

15 comments:

  1. Good work to track them down, Mick.
    Your weather has obviously been suitable for such long paddle trips. I should imagine that on a bad day it could cut up rough. But the birds would probably be hiding anyway.
    Nice find - Terek Sandpipers.
    And the Tattlers perched in Mangrove trees is unusual, I think.
    Well done.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denis, it has taken a few weeks to get the right weather conditions. It does get a bit rough on the bay and it makes it so much harder to go far in rough conditions - not really worth the effort I think! re the Grey-tailed Tattlers - they are one species that can usually be found in tree roosts - not always of course! Wandering Tattlers, however, prefer rocky headlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good day, even if you didn't get as many photos as you might have liked. I can't imagine being out on the water in a kayak when the weather's really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be nice to be out paddling now. Our weather is too cold now. Sounds like you had a nice day with some nice bird sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting Eileen and Wren. This is the best time of year for shorebirds and for weather! It's great to be able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About a 4.5 km round trip according to the "ruler" tool on Google Earth. Must be keeping you fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mosura, yes I think that would be right - and it would also explain why I am taking it easy today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's great, sounds like you had a pretty fun paddle! the past few months, I've managed to get out in my kayak at least 1-2 times a week..i've been so lucky with the weather! love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi JN, once or twice a week for a kayak sounds great. It's certainly a good way to see birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...what a beautiful sight. Now that our water is slowly turning to ice, I love seeing all this green! Love the photo of the Terek Sandpipers tucked in among the mangroves and the first photo is a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kelly, I must say I prefer a climate that doesn't have all that ice and snow - and I have tried both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what an adventure! And a great photo of the Tattler!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Bob and Cynthia. It was good to find out definitely where the birds were going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how nice to be able to kayaking like that. My lake is almost frozen now. Lovely vaders you have.

    NF Bird

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice kayaking when the water is warm - but a frozen lake doesn't sound so nice to me when I am used to warm weather all year round :-)

    ReplyDelete