Sunday, October 9, 2011

Norman Point

There was a bank of cloud covering the sun early the other morning and I was able to take some photos into the brightness of the eastern sky. (I have put a border on the photos as they don't show up well against the background color of the blog.)
There were mainly gulls and terns right on the point but a little south there were numbers of Bar-tailed Godwits and a few Eastern Curlews.
This is the area where are a number of boats are moored. I counted 7 but as no-one was around the birds were not being disturbed. Eastern Curlews don't stay around too long as soon as they see people. This one walked away from me towards the south but did not disturb and fly.
These Godwits were resting but kept an eye open to see what I was doing.
This one was preening with that long bill. It's amazing how they manage to use it successfully on even feathers close to the neck. The bird was still showing faint washes of red color from the breeding plumage. This will soon all disappear.
This post is for Scenic Sunday and Bird Photography Weekly.

12 comments:

  1. Nice shots - I don't see waterbirds like that very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are lovely sceneries that you have captured! And the birds are such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd last is my choice, look at that reflection and the way he stands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last shot is so charming and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific. I love your header, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful captures of the godwits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots Mick - I especially like the last one with the interesting reflection. Thank you for your encouraging comments on my blog; have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mick
    I have seldom seen such a great shot of the Curlew.
    Congratulations.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo! Very serene and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing how they are able to stand on one leg. It always looks like they would fall over, but they don´t. Great shots Mick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post! I love all three Godwit pictures especially.

    ReplyDelete