Sunday, September 26, 2010

What a difference...

...a day makes! Yesterday was overcast and light rain kept falling. When I went for a walk to the Mullens bird roost it was difficult to even see the birds. There was quite a large flock of Godwits in the distance but the photos I took were almost gray - like the day! This photo looked better in 'grayscale' rather than in a washed-out color. (All photos enlarge when clicked on.)
Today was bright and sunny, which was lucky as it was the day for the QWSG shorebird count and I have to kayak over to the site I count.
I saw two Little Egrets roosting in mangrove trees. They prefer mangroves with open branches low down so they can sit and watch for whatever might be coming. This one let me kayak quite close without moving at all.
There were quite large flocks of Eastern Curlew, Whimbrel, and Godwits on the sandbank that the birds use on tide heights like this morning. There is a lot of vegetation on the sandbank so the birds are not easy to see. When I focused in on the Godwits I also saw a flock of smaller birds - Great Knot. I have not seen flocks of Great Knots on this roost before so I am wondering if this is just a flock passing through on their way to somewhere south of here. It will be interesting to see if they are there next time I go over to the roost in a couple of weeks time.
For more bird photos visit the Birds Photography Weekly.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had snow in that first pic. Love the egret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mick - going for a count via kayak is pretty cool. I like the egret shot too. they are also cool guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the egret. They look so unnatural standing in trees, even though I know they spend a lot of time up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of grey photos, I wonder why that is. (twisted smile)

    Luckily you got some great days after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting Gwendolen, Phil, Mike, and NatureFootstep.

    ReplyDelete