Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weather and Birds

I know the huge flocks of migratory shorebirds are back but the problem is how to see them properly! The week has been gray and damp! We had one day when the rain gauge for the day showed 75mm (3 inches). The rest of the time it has either been light drizzle or a howling gale. There's certainly no chance to get out in a kayak. The weather bureau is predicting similar weather until next week sometime.
These photos were taken out at Inskip Point. No post processing done at all - I wouldn't want to give an unrealistic picture of conditions! The first is high tide with the roosting birds visible as a hazy gray line. The second is low tide with only a few terns visible out on the sand island. At least the wind was enjoyable for someone! I counted seven of these kite surfers zipping back and forth.

4 comments:

  1. You could be world's first kite kayaker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony, I have been considering getting a sail for the kayak! Hadn't thought of a kite sail!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three inches in a day is a lot of rain. I have had enough with 1.5 inches for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, the rain really comes down heavily in the tropics and sub-tropics! I can cope with heavy rain for a little while but I don't like it when it comes down heavily for days and we get big floods.

    ReplyDelete