Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blue-faced Honeyeaters on nest

The other week friends called me around to their house to see a pair of Blue-faced Honeyeaters which had a nest in a palm tree in their yard. The palm is a Bismarkia. The palm frond was folded up - I don't know if the birds had managed this or how it had happened. The fronds on this same palm species in my yard open almost immediately they shoot up. The birds had also managed to fold part of the frond down in the front to make easier access to the nest. I saw two nearly fledged chicks and both adults.
As usual I took multiple photos. I saw an adult carrying away something white from the nest but when I examined the photos on my computer I saw this! I assume it is a faecal sack being taken away from the nest.

11 comments:

  1. A really great set of photos, especially the first and last. The nest looks very secure in that palm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, yes, very secure and very hard to see also except from a distance. I had to stand up on a step-laddder just to see in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mick

    Spot on with the faecal sac. The adult usually pokes the chick on the bottom, with the beak, to prompt the release the sac.
    As your chicks are well grown, they are obviously "toilet trained".
    Nice observation of the nest.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denis that's a very interesting observation about the interaction between the adult and the chick re the faecal sack.
    This is just another example of learning from others via the blogging world. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue-faces spend much time in palms, so species likely to see fronds as best nest friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tony, that's very interesting. I have lots of palms in my yard but so far they haven't shown much interest. Maybe the palms are not tall enough yet. Here's hoping for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Mick,
    That is delightful!
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful birds and stunning pictures of them Mick - so cheery after a long dull day here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mick, an excellent set of pics. Wonder if the birds chose a grey-fronded to highlight the blue on their faces?!

    I saw a pair of these honeyeaters mugging small children for their chips at a truck stop in central Qld. (That might explain the mask.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tricia, now you know how I felt all during our winter when you were photographing such beautiful summer scenes!!! Glad my photos cheered up your dull day.

    Hi Snail, they are aggressive birds I know as they have my cat completely terrified but I didn't realize they were cheeky enough to take on humans! I love the idea of color coordinating birds!

    ReplyDelete