Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Backyard Blues!

The excessive heat has moderated a little but now we are faced with rain - non of it too heavy and not constant!  However, even showers that come and go most of the day can make things uncomfortably damp. The plants love it and my lawn is well out of control. For the last three days I have walked out on the grass first thing in the morning to check how 'squishy' it is under my feet.When I make wet muddy marks in the ground I know it is impossible for the mower!  Here's hoping for later today!
What I do not understand is why so many birds love it. The other morning quite a large flock of Lorikeets flew over. Then I heard a few that had settled in the palms along my boundary fence. No flowers there so what had attracted them? I moved slowly around hoping to get a better view. Fortunately, I did click one photo from a less than perfect angle and then they all flew off. The photo shows 4 birds but I counted 8 as they flew past me.
Later I saw that the birds were eating from the bunch of seeds these palms have grown this year.
Next day I tried for a better photo when I heard the birds again but a rain shower started again and I went inside very damp and had to quickly dry  drops off the camera as well.  Photos showed even more damp than I had realized and even the bird's plumage showed damp!

For more photos from around the world visit Our World Tuesday.

11 comments:

  1. I love the story of the damp footprints, and the wet birds. Lorikeets are gorgeous!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful kind of blues and other colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grass sounds much the same as mine. Even Penny leaves muddy paw prints when she races across the lawn. A couple of days of Sunshine and now back to rain again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So green and beautiful. And the birds sure bring in some bright colours. Your yard is a beautiful place. :) Enjoy the week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mick. I think - when it rains the birds stay dry and don't feed as much. The cooler air also makes the insects less active, but as soon as the sun comes out the insects do too. Birds are clever enough to know when insects are both more abundant and more active.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful birds and wonderful photos! ~ We are still 'in winter' mode ~ enjoy ~ squishy and all ~

    Happy Days to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lorikeets are beautiful and that one doesn't look as wet as I bet you did coming in. Our lawn in Oregon would be squishy like that after days of rain (in our former life.... it has been 20 years or more since we worried about mowing lawns, but I remember it just growing and growing in late winter/early spring but too wet to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have to love those birds. So colorful and they give you a happy feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you have had enough rain. Lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! they are loving the berries and seeds in the trees, and they are so colourful.

    ReplyDelete