Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Fairy-wrens

I take frequent short trips down to the Mullens foreshore but unfortunately it is not a part of the bay often frequented by shorebirds. It is always beautiful no matter the weather.
I also find the trees that dabble their stems in the water - mangroves - very beautiful.
The other day I took this photo looking north along the shore. The boat would be well up on dry land when the tide went out - and I hope the fisherman had some luck after standing out in the water for so long.

A couple of weeks ago several bloggers posted photos of  Fairy-wrens on this meme. I waited for others to show some of the other very colorful Fairy-wrens but since no one did I went back into my photo archives so that all the overseas birders could get an idea of the variety of such birds you can see.
These first birds are the ones that were posted a few weeks ago - Superb Fairy -wrens. For some reason I have never seen these birds right in my area. According to my birding books they should be here! I saw these ones on a trip out west my sister and I took a few years ago at a place called Mitchell.  I have included photos of the little brown females - which I find difficult to ID.
The only blue colored wren that I have seen right in my own area is the Variegated Fairy-wren Malarus assimilis.I have frequently seen this bird on the bushy walk out to Inskip Point but it likes the more dense shrubs and is not easy to follow or to photograph.  The colors are especially bright!

The Red-backed Fairy-wren Malarus melanocephalis is fairly common around here and I took these photos out at Inskip Point and at Bullock Point.


For more scenery  from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday


19 comments:

  1. The colours are stunning on that blue fairy wren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots of the birds and the bay looks calming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful place and photography and wonderful feathered friend photography ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)
    Happy Thanksgiving coming in USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen such a beautiful little blue bird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well of course I had to stop by and admire your Fairy Wren photos! What a brilliant set of photos!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realise you had so many fairy wrens. They do look like our own Troglodytes troglodytes but a lot more colourful and of course the very long tail. Our own Wren is difficult to photograph being so very active, like your own being similarly small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the mangroves remind me of NZ, we have them everywhere here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mick, I love all the beautiful wrens, the blue colored Fairy Wrens are lovely. Pretty view of the water and mangroves. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We took a boat tour through mangroves when we visited Florida on a flying trip. Seems like yesterday but it was many years ago now. Back before we owned our own plane. Rented one in Florida to fly to the Bahamas and around the state. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous collection of birds in your country. Such stunning colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the wrens were one of my favorite birds in Queensland. But so hard to catch :) Beautiful birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Fairy Wrens are adorable such vibrant colours. Thank you for sharing your photos and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to be able to photograph some more species of Fairy Wren - but so far I have not had the chance. We only get Superb in my immediate area.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of the Wrens and the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh those are the sweetest and most colorful birds ... so pretty they almost don't look real . I would love to see one. The foreshore near you is so photogenic... we have mangroves here in Florida and I do love them.

    ReplyDelete