Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Close to Home

Yesterday I had a look around the Mullens picnic area. This is the closest part of the bay from where I live. The tide was good and high and there was almost no wind. It would have been a perfect day for a kayak. (Maybe sometime I will be able to get out there again!) The one thing I had forgotten was how bad the small biting insects are after some rain!
The sky was grey towards the east so the sea was also grey in that direction.

I went around to the boat ramp where the creek goes west and such a difference!

I hoped to see some birds in my own backyard but they were not around. I got up very early this morning hoping to catch some as they flew over at that time.
The light was beautiful and as the sun rose there were even more beautiful patterns on the palm leaves.
Unfortunately, this was one morning when the birds had decided to fly over elsewhere. The only ones I saw flocks of where Rainbow Lorikeets but they are too fast to get good in-flight photos I find. Some came down and roosted in the pine tree next door but I only got glimpses of the color up high.

This Kookaburra saved the morning for me. It sat up on the electricity wires and blinked at me but the early morning sun made its plumage very beautiful.

For more scenery  from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenery Mick, and I love that Kookaburra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes a nice day for kayakking, there might be aligators there! And the kookaburra, i saw and heard its laughter the first time i went to Sydney. I thought it is a very colorful bird, when i saw it i say oh our kingfisher is more colorful. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics.The bird was looking at something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mick, the scenery is beautiful. You live in a lovely area. Cute peek at the Lorikeet and the Kookaburra is great too. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like a great day for kayaking, with little or no wind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful area and great photography ~ favorite is the little bird on the wire ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful area to live and lovely photographs

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colour of Lorikeet in the foliage is quite beautiful. Yes, that soft morning light on the Kookaburra is lovely. I can see how there'd be a myriad of bitey insects in the waters there, but isn't it such a pretty area... perfect for kayaking as you say:D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its hard to believe you could have so much water and no birds, but I have to say the scenery is gorgious.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it was not sand-flies biting you. They are terrible :(
    Love to see the trees in the water :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have beautiful area there! The Kookaburra is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear this post could have been about our part of Florida until it came to the last two pictures (the birds). Since our climate and bio area seem so much the same, I wonder why we don't get your kookaburras too ;))

    Beautiful green scenery ...obviously I would love it there! Glad you got out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. are those mangroves growing in the water? they are nice to see if they are, where I use to live alot of them were taken out of the harbour as they were overtaking everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you were able to get out for a little while, hope all the little things that bite are gone before we come down again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "small biting insects" - thats a synonym for "hell on earth" I think! We had more than a dozen Rainbow L in the trees at the back of the garden today: very noisy.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always love the shots of your 'watery world'. So different to my local farmland.

    ReplyDelete