Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Carlo

A bout of flu and associated ills left me disinclined to do anything energetic! However, it was a beautiful sunny day and I decided to get in the car and drive around the bay to Carlo. This is a popular boat anchorage with quite extensive wharves, plenty of room for launching smaller boats, and a row of small businesses and restaurants along the waterside.

One of the businesses along the waterfront advertises house boats for rent and while I was there one motored out and set off north along the Strait.

This is also where the boats leave for off-shore fishing charters. Away in the distance are the boats anchored in deep water just outside Tin Can Bay.

There were lots of birds swooping around after insects. I assumed they were swallows of some kind but I find if difficult to get any sort of in-flight shots - and I simply did not have the energy to try this day. The only ones I saw that came down and perched within reach of my lens were these ones. A knowledgeable friend tells me that they look like Tree Martins and this is where she has photographed them before.

There are always Pelicans somewhere around and when I walked north along the foreshore I found quite a group of them up in that area. Then I discovered the attraction was a group of fishermen cleaning their catch at one of the fishing tables. The Pelicans might look half asleep floating out on the water but they can move fast enough when any scraps are tossed out.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful photography and love the boats and the fun shore birds ! thanks ^_^

    Wishing you a lovely week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your water views and the pelicans, too. sorry you've been ill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few hours in a place like this always makes me feel better; based on the beautiful pictures you took, I think it must have worked for you too. I hope so and I hope you stay well. Flu is no good. Pelicans make me laugh every time (I see a lot of them in Florida ndd even have seen them here in Oregon). Laughter is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such wonderful hotspots for birding. I love those Pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pelicans are gorgeous! Have a wonderful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Hope you are feeling better today. Your photos made me feel better, (toothache for a few days) anyway your house boat photos reminded me of a holiday hubby and I made in the lakes in Northern England. It's a fab way to take in the views. I wish I could see Pelicans, they are great birds, and so are all your photos.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see the pelicans waiting for the next free meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice place to spend a day. Loved the little swallow and pelicans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great series of photos makes me want to go down to the bay for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely clear blue skies and blue water that I am jealous as usual. Those pelicans are wonderful and as you say they must be very opportunistic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you're feeling better today, Mick!
    Great scenery! I hope to be along the coast next week. Need some of that salt air! Not to mention fresh seafood, fantastic birding and all the rest which comes with the seaside!

    Thank you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flu got me too - thankfully after I got back from Darwin.

    Hope we both get better soon!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete