Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Yard Birds

When I first came here to live I planted a lot of different palm trees in the yard. I had never lived this far north in the sub-tropics before and was delighted with all the palms that grew easily. (All you people in the northern hemisphere remember that you have an upside down view of where tropical climates are!!!!) Of all the different palms I planted this one is my favorite.It is a Bismarckia Nobilis. I love the blue color of its foliage.

Then the other afternoon I noticed a couple of Blue-faced Honeyeaters (Entomyzon cyanotis)sitting high on one of the leaves. I have tried for good photos of them over the last couple of days but when I was photographing them yesterday afternoon they suddenly started screaming and dive bombing me! I looked around and found my cat had followed me around .  These birds can be very aggressive! The dog used to keep them away from the house and in control! I wonder if they are nesting up in that palm? They are the only birds that I know that like to find a palm leaf partly folded in on itself and then build a nest closely folded in there.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

19 comments:

  1. Hello, Mick! The palms are beautiful. The Blue-faced Honeyeater is a cool looking bird.
    Great series of photos! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous plants and bird is wonderful ~ all great shots!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a rather aggressive looking bird! Beautiful colourings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH your blue palm is lovely and healthy. The birds are lovely and look very fierce. The shot was so detailed and clear. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such pretty yard birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even with that aggressive personality, I'd love to see that bird! We see the beautiful bluish palms in Florida, but certainly never with that handsome colorful bird in its leaves. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots of the Honeyeaters.They have gorgeous markings up close. It does appear that they had a nest or young up there somewhere. Very good parents I think?

    Thanks for reminding me about the tropics. It's "summer" here but you wouldn't know it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic looking bird. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bird, glorious looking. I have missed so many, including you...how has that happened? Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning bird and amazing images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! What a striking face. I'd love to have him sitting in my tree. Great close up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning bird! I loved your photos...your palm trees are just lovely. We have quite a few palms in the Tucson area of AZ where we have been living the last five years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. seem like the bird likes your palm too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shot of the Honeyeater

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great yard birds - very, very different to mine!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots of the Honeyeater! I'm jealous of your yard birds! I also like the foliage of your palm. Hope your winter has been going well. Sorry to have been absent for so long. More interruptions from Life.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never seen a bird like that before, almost looks kind of exotice, great shots :-)

    ReplyDelete