Monday, April 8, 2013

A Serpent in Paradise

I always wake up early and as soon as I stir inside the house my animals - a dog and a cat - let me know they expect me to come out and say "good morning" and give them some food. So the other morning it was just after 5am when I switched on the outside light and went along to the pen where the cat is usually penned at night. She had refused to come in the previous night but was frisking along at my heels this morning. When we were almost at the pen the dog jumped sharply back and I took a second look at what was ahead. Part way up the side of the pen and along a cross piece was a snake!

I don't like snakes - in fact I am frightened of them! I grew up in New Zealand where there are no "nasties" like snakes and I have never got used to them up close. At that hour of the morning what was I to do? I waited until nearly 6:30 and the snake hadn't moved. I phoned friends that I know are early risers and talked to my friend's husband. He asked what color and shape it was and told me I didn't have to worry because it was only a python of some kind - not poisonous and not dangerous! I had already worked that one out! (Isn't google wonderful at ID-ing strange creatures!) When I told him I was still frightened he told me he would come around in a while - and he did!  This is Graham, Sarah's husband. and as you can see he was not at all worried by the snake - and as you can see by the grin on his face he thought I was quite funny! Anyway he put the snake in a bag and took it away and released it well away from houses.

Sarah suggested the title for this post. She is an artist and I appreciate how her view of the world makes me take a second look at things and see them from a different perspective. We often go kayaking or hiking. While I watch and photograph the birds moving around and am delighted with their color and pattern she goes looking at vegetation and comes back with detailed photos of small and delicate plants - with a bleached bone sheltered underneath the foliage! I think she would like me to find the things that are less than perfect as well as the very beautiful things around where we live.

For more photos from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful big carpet snake you had, has it come back yet? They sometimes do if not taken far enough away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures you show ...... I'm terrified of snakes.
    We have only ONE snake in Denmark - a viper. Wish you a good new week :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graham is fearless! I'm not fond of snakes either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it really is a beautiful snake! and your friend is a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I´m really terrified of this one! But the title is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's quite big!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous captures of the beautiful snake, Mike!
    Love snakes...
    Warm greetings from Holland,
    Anna ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty snake! As long as they're not poisonous, they're nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific captures for the day, but I'm afraid I would react the same way to the snake -- although I have to admit it is a handsome fellow and your friend is indeed a fearless character :)!! Have a great week, Mick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my teens my biology teacher had snakes in an aquarium. That was the first time and have never cared for them since. Maybe because of what they represent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure !

    Glad everything was peaceful and harmless. Please have a good Tuesday.

    robert geiß

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe snakes are what prompted the invention of the telephoto camera lens!
    Glad you had a neighbor to help with a relocation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was quite an exciting find even if you were terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snake certainly has beautiful markings. But it is large enough to be intimidating except for brave folks like your neighbor. I don’t think I would enjoy having it slither around my arm.

    Love the title for this post, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure I can see the smile - but I'm sure there is one under the beard!

    Snakes are a real two edges sword - I like to see them - but I dont want to see too many!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your friend has the mind of an artist, helping the rest of us to see the beauty everywhere. But snakes...um, OK I'm not a girly girl who is frightened of seeing them..outdoors and preferably slithering in the opposite direction. But I draw the line at enjoying them in my house. Yup...I'd of called for help as well. (It definitely pays to know someone who can handle stuff like that.) It IS a pretty snake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don´t mind snakes and this is a beautiful one. BUT, I don´t want them in my home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beautiful snake and i say I'm not afraid of them but I might be in Australia until one was IDd for the better. A good tale Mick.

    ReplyDelete