Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Piece of Paradise

This is my friends' backyard and it's a beautiful and peaceful place. (You really need to read my previous post to understand the implications of this title!) The only creatures here that could be thought to detract from this lovely environment would be the mosquitoes - and they are around everywhere after the rain!

We were sitting out under this sun shade the other morning and enjoying a "cuppa" together. I had not intended to stay long so had not brought my camera. What a mistake!

There were a number of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos sitting up in this big Scribbly Gum and popping in and out of one of the holes. We all assumed they are about to use it as a nesting hole.

I asked Sarah if I could come back the next morning and just wander around for a while and get some photos of the birds. Cockies - like all parrots - are clever! They were at the hole when I first arrived but as soon as I got the camera out they flew up into the tree and sat and watched me. It felt like they were laughing at me! Then they even had the audacity to invite their "birdy" friends (a couple of Rainbow Lorikeets) to come and share the joke!


I was a strange person wandering around in their place and they did not trust me! It was only after Sarah and Graham came out and sat down under the sunshade with me that the birds came down and briefly went to the nesting hole. I managed a couple of photos before they flew high into the tree again. Hopefully when they do start nesting and have young demanding food I can go and get some better photos.

 For more bird photos from around the world visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

28 comments:

  1. Good grief, don't go anywhere without your camera Mick! I can only imagine the joy of seeing these birds in the backyard. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't that frustrating when you haven't got the camera! Lucky you could go back and pick up your lovely photographs. Those mozzies are the worst aren't they just; spray is a must for the backpack, but when visiting for a cuppa you'd hardly think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome, though, to have them in a friends' backyard! great friends to have, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden your friends got and such funny birds! Nice story! And I love the pictures of the birds! Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely nesting hollow. your wrens below are gorgeous too, and the snake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a gorgeous place. Love the green color of summer. :) And the birds that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did go and read your previous post first. I like these views of paradise so much better. :)
    You got some wonderful shots and I do hope they nest and have little ones and we get to see them too.
    Awesome back yard to hang out in. Please thank your friends for letting us hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pictures you show Mick. I wish that I have a cockatoo, it is an incredibly beautiful / smart bird.
    Have seen them in ZOO - they can also be purchased in this country as caged birds, but I am not in favor of having birds / animals in captivity ..... The free life may be the best. Wish you a good day :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I guess you forgot the first rule about always having a camera at the ready but you maore than made up for it with the later pictures. I look forward to seeing the nesting shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friend backyard is truly paradise with so much greenery and lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A piece of paradise indeed. And such lovely birds to add to this pristine area of your land. Wonderful. [I know just what you mean when a camera isn't readily available]

    BAD 'Hair' DAY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who says birds don't get to know people. You'll have to spend more time in your neighbours garden to get the birds used to you.Sulphur Cresteds are very intelligent birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's hard to imagine birds that we only see behind cages being out in the wild. What a treat! I also found the squiggly lines in the trees quite fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is indeed a piece of paradise, lovely birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your friend is so fortunate to have such a beautiful back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mick...I am so glad I am not the only one that doesn't take a
    camera ; )
    It is so amazing to such beauties that I think of as birds in a captivity here,: ( not something I would see in my friends backyard here in Maine {smile}!
    Just beautiful photos,and the setting with the tree hollow is great!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - that's some backyard! I can't even imagine living somewhere where we'd have parrots flying around. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The "cockie" looks like it's a great clown? Well worth stalking though--can just imagine how endearing the young will be. A great place to have a cuppa and those trees are great. Reminded me of our sycamore but much smoother bark.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos of the Cockatoo. I love of photo of him/her entering the hole. You have the prettiest birds in Australia.
    Thanks for visiting me and your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, it's good to know that birds are the same all over the world! Laughing at us all the time!
    Great shots, Mick. Hope they nest successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful birds ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice birds - even if they can rip your house apart!!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: I was surprised to find the Black Winged Stilts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an attractive yard and tree. Obviously the birds agree. Hope you don't get any of those inch-long mosquitos that are supposed to be invading us here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!! I've done this as well. I try to bring my camera BUT it's not always possible. LOVE every single shot of this post today. What a beautiful area with incredibly cool birds!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete