Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Big Country! Part 3

Wildflowers around Quilpie.We found the best wildflowers on the road from Quilpie south to Thargomindah. (I should mention here that this was the roughest road we drove on. It was unsealed for 40+Kms and was very cut-up by deep wheel tracks during the last period of wet weather. I'm glad it had dried out or we would never have made it in our ordinary 2 wheel drive car!) We were told in other places that we were a little early and that the best flowering would be in a week or so. However, we were delighted in what we did see.The land looked very dry and rocky in most places. However, this bare soil supported an amazing amount and variety of flowers. We saw 3 stands of bees along the side of the road so there must have been enough nectar for the bee-keepers to decide to put the bees in the area. I am not a botanist and have no idea of the names of the plants and flowers that I photographed. I just enjoyed the colors and variety. Of course, if anyone knows names I would be delighted to have you tell me. The first photos show first a view of the plant then a close-up of the flowers.The next flower did not have a large plant but was just growing by itself on a bit of dry looking ground.We drove on and stopped a little further down the road where the land was a bit lower and the grass and plants covered the ground.This time I did not photograph more of the flowers as I was distracted by birds! There was a whole flock of little Zebra Finches in the bushes! I have only seen one Zebra Finch flying free in the bush before and I think it was an escapee from a cage. It was really great to see all these birds free in the bush where they are meant to be. This was definitely the high-light of the day for me!

14 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! How stunning. Looks like it's been a splendid year for flora and fauna out west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Snail, we heard that the spring was predicted to be very good because of all the floods out there earlier this year. Also, they are still having more rain out there - not enough to flood although some roads are closed again. It is all making the best season they have had out there for a very long time. Of course it was a perfect time for my first visit out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading about your travels Mick - what a great trip, perfect timing to see all those lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome landscape.
    A bit desert like and yet so green in places. Amazing!
    And those Zebra Finches are just totally great, what a lovely looking bird :D!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Barbara. I first thought about this trip after reading postings on Birding-aus. Then I have friends who go out there most years and they helped with the timing. It certainly was a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole, This is an exceptional year out in that area. They have had years and years of drought and have had to totally de-stock - ie get rid of all their animals. All the lovely grass and green vegetation is most welcome except that most have not yet been able to buy in enough stock to replace those lost over the drought years. It's a very tough life out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo makes me want to go our west and see it all for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just check the weather before you go out - I've heard they've had more rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Zebs! Pity they never sit on pretty flowers:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tony, I guess that would make a perfect picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your trip. It is always nice to read about and see the different fauna and flora from other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks John - it was a most enjoyable trip and well worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I didn't know about the years of drought.
    Sucks :(
    Hope it stays level now for the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nicole, they have more years of drought out in that country than really good years. This one is exceptional. I heard yesterday that they had more rain out there and travelers are stranded in a number of places!

    ReplyDelete