Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Carlo and Rainbow

I decided the easiest way to see different birds from those I see in my backyard was to go to a different environment. I can usually find something different at Carlo on the other side of the bay or at Rainbow Beach which is right on the coast. Both are interesting places. There are boats of all kinds for rent at Carlo, plus interesting ones used as charter boats to take people up the Strait or out deep sea fishing.

Usually I see Pelicans somewhere there but not this time! I saw few birds around anywhere until I realized there were numbers of swallows swooping around. There is one piece of fence where they usually come and rest but when I didn't see any there I walked over close and just waited. Because I was very still they eventually flew in and perched in their usual place and I was closer than ever before to them These are Tree Martins.
There is a very large caravan park with some cabins for rent right at Carlo. During school holidays it is 'packed out'! - but that will be a few weeks yet. I was going very slowly past and thought I caught a glimpse of a Bush Stone Curlew. I found parking 50 meters of so down the road and then slowly walked back. Both birds had simply disappeared! However, there was still a little brown 'bump' on the ground among the leaf litter. I walked slowly and carefully closer - and the bird never moved! It was only when I looked at the photos at home that I realized the big eye had been watching me closely all the time. I backed off and there was still no movement. The second bird was a little way off and all I got was a blurred image at a distance. When I went closer that bird had disappeared also. It must have been hiding among the leaf litter as well.
A few kilometers away at Rainbow Beach it is a fery different environment - still lots of tourists but rather different activities!
Often there are birds just behind the beach in the plantings on the sand hills - but not this time. I went up the hill where the shops and rental apartments look over another picnic place and a great view over the sea. The trees planted beside the road are some kind of native fig and the fruit was just perfect for birds.
So many of them flew into the tree close beside me but the birds took one look at me and immediately disappeared in the leaves. These birds are female Fig Birds - and they too  moved out of sight very quickly.

For more scenery from around the would visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

17 comments:

  1. Lots of great shots from a variety of habitats. I imagine I would be relaxing on that beach trying to observe from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots. Those fig birds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your contrast between the birding and beach life. It proves the point that wherever you go, there are always birds, even if as a birder you might feel out of place. Great shots of the swallows and of the Bush Stone Curlew trying to "hide" - made me laugh but I can see how it would work against predators. Fig Birds I like, a very smart looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent bird photography and lovely place ~ beautiful beach ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos it is always a nice spot to go birding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful images of the tree martin. A gorgeous one in my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like Bush Stone Curlews - that make such strange noises.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this was fun Mick.... it's amazing how those curlews hide ... and amazing you found them at all. And then those fig birds are quite something too.. they have great eyes! I liked this place a lot ... I wish we could bring our caravan over there to tour. (Bill actually looked into that, but the cost is prohibitive, plus you are not allowed to bring in a car with steering on the "wrong" side. So thanks for showing us these wonderful places and great birds we will never see in person! )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masters of camouflage those Bush Stone Curlews, which is the second biggest reason I have never seen one. The biggest reason being that we don't get them here :-) Beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely beautiful place to visit, good spotting with those wee birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mick, I've been away a while so am catching up. I love those shots of the Bush Stone Curlew and how they hide in the leaf litter - pretty clever! It was also interesting to see those native figs - big bunches, no wonder the birds would love those trees. Cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good spotting with the birds! looks like a lovely beach, how warm is it there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too warm right now! The temp is below 30 but the humidity is the problem. I am sitting at the computer and the sweat is running off me! Not pleasant :-(

      Delete
  13. Hi Mick -- How are you doing? Hope you're keeping cool and dry and your hot spell has broken a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much variety in this post, Mick! I do love Bush Stone Curlews... fascinating!

    ReplyDelete