Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Backyard

First I want to say thank you for all the very nice and very encouraging comments on my last post. Thanks!
Sometimes life gets a bit difficult. I have recently had to admit that I cannot keep up with all the maintenance on my yard. Bushes turned into trees very quickly and other parts turned into jungle before I could get them into control. Fortunately I found someone that didn't mind coming in now and again and bringing a big saw and taking out the too luxurious growth. The place is looking much better and I can see what used to be there! Last time this fellow was taking out small growth under some trees down the back. "Please be careful around there," I said, "I think there might be some pineapple plants in there somewhere". Yes! And one had fruit on it! This is an amazing climate. Most things grow if you put them into the ground. Pineapples fresh from the farm gate are usually bought with the green bushy tops still on them. A while back I bought some like this and cut the tops off with a little attached flesh under them. These went into the ground and this is the result!

Another problem has been happening recently. A couple of Magpie Larks - Peewees to give them their common name - have decided the yard is theirs and I am just barely tolerated! The cat is not tolerated at all and she is driven away from her food dish! Then, I hear a pathetic little mew which means she needs me to come out and keep her safe. I watched the peewees the other day and they were swooping very low over her to move her on! My dog used to keep such pests well away from the house but I lost her just over a year ago and the birds quickly learnt! Here are the Peewees enjoying my yard - which needs mowing again! The male and female have different color patterns around the head and neck. This is the female...

and this is the male and he is the noisiest and the most aggressive.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday 

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday


14 comments:

  1. Wow! Pineapples in your garden and fresh birds taking over the yard ~ Glad you are taking control now ~ Wonderful photos!

    Happy Week to you and Happy Fourth of July ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are mean birds! in our former life, when we had a yard, we used to have scrub jays who tormented one of our Siamese cats nearly to death! These birds must be related. Glad you have hired someone to help you with your yard -- it's your turn to enjoy the fruits (pineapples) of your former labors and let somebody else do the hard work to maintain what you started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful to plant pineapple. Love them but if I try to plant they rot. They don´t like Sweden :( Glad you had fruit on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine how your garden grows almost too fast in your climate. It's bad enough here in our wet and warm summers, never mind your own. I'd like to grow a pineapple I must say. A great fruit.

    The Peewees must be quite an aggressive species. Perhaps time for another dog to restore the balance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, having someone help with yard work is something we may need soon. The fresh pineapple sounds awesome. The Magpie Larks are pretty, to bad they are mean. I hope your kitty is ok. Enjoy your day and week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see you back on track. I can't believe your pineapple plants fruited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How brilliant to get your money's worth out of a pineapple by growing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that is am easay way to get more pineapple plants then. The Magpie Larks probably haveyoung near by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the pineapple and the Magpie-larks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, they're beautiful birds, but poor kitty... love the pineapples found!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to be able to grow pineapples. The birds are pretty, but I feel sorry for your cat.

    ReplyDelete