Monday, February 8, 2016

New Signage

A few days ago friends told me there was a new sign at Norman Point - the most northerly point at Tin Can Bay. Of course, I had to go and see it. It is set under a protecting roof and is big and bright and beautiful! It is double sided with three panels on each side. One panel gives a general overview of what can be expected to be seen around the Strait, one is about the marine Turtles, one about the Dugongs, one about the Whales and Dolphins, one about the Mangroves, and one about the shorebirds. The sign has been put up by Queensland Parks and Wildlife.

I am especially pleased to see a sign like this because when I retired up here about 12 years ago I had difficulty in finding any local knowledge about the wetlands and especially the shorebirds. I was hoping to just enjoy my retirement but I also wanted to know some details about this area - which was totally new to me. I read books, bought a kayak and started exploring. I soon discovered I needed a camera with a zoom lens and so bought a point and shoot with the best zoom I could afford! What I discovered was beautiful and not like anything I had seen before. I shared what I was finding with anyone who would listen! I bought better cameras - (I am now into my second DSLR and a couple of good long lenses.) I also got to know some of the Parks and Wildlife officers. This is a huge area and no-one can be expected to see or know it all so I coaxed some of these Parks people out with me during their free time. I also told them that anything they could do to protect the shorebirds and make more people aware of them would be great!...And please, let me know if they could use my photos for this! This sign about the shorebirds is the result! I am very happy to think that I have helped to accomplish something like this in my retirement. Oh yes! Parks credits me with the photos and thanks me for what I have accomplished. That is certainly the "icing on the cake"!!
Here is the the shorebirds part of the sign.

When I went out there this morning there was a strong breeze blowing and white-caps on the bay.
The only shorebirds to be found was a group of nearly 30 Pied Oystercatchers sheltering in the curve of the bay.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

22 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant sign, useful for those who want information and also to warn other visitors about not disturbing the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, the sign is great. It looks like it provides good info on the shorebirds. I love the oystercatchers. Great post and photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your perseverance and your excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, another great post with great information and pics!! I would love to visit there!! I do hope you have a great new week, Mick, and thank you, as always, for sharing the beauty of your world with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you on the Park using your photography which is always lovely and the signage is a great accomplishment! Bravo!

    Wishing you a Happy Week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome, mick! great job in pushing for awareness and education, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mick this is wonderful. Thank you for giving us this background on the work you've done since your retirement in your new area. You have done something amazing. Reward in itself I am sure, but I am glad they gave you credit on the signs for what you've done and your wonderful photos. And thank you for sharing so many of them with us, including those of today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, like to find out a bit about the area that I am visiting so I look for signs like this. These birds are fun to see when they are skittering along the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and colourful sign - and full of great info too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post just as well we did not try kayaking on a day like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Mick. You should be rightly pleased and proud that your photography and local knowledge are helping others to learn about the area. If oyhers begin to appreciate the wildlike around them they too will respect it as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. You have made a huge contribution and should be proud that this place will educate other with your hard work and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sign looks great, and congratulations for your good work. I always look for signs like these when looking for local wildlife. Nice shots of the Oystercatchers!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely place, there is my faworit birds oystercatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those types of sign are important, even when some people I know seem to pick fault with them. Even better to have your own pictures on them!

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful new signs! They have to help. It looks like a great place to visit and I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a beautiful and with lots of information. Great for all who wants it :) And lots of great birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love those oystercatchers, we have alot of there too they graze along the shoreline in most NZ beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The oystercatchers are very handsome birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic, Mick! You must be very proud!

    Of course, as you know, your area is somewhat similar to ours here on the west coast of Florida, so I really enjoy your posts showing the details of the local birds, the mangroves the shorelines - all of it!

    Hope your weekend has been a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to see your images being used by Parks and Wildlife! That must make you feel appreciated. Hopefully we can get back up your way soon when the shorebirds are there!

    ReplyDelete