Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Bush Birds and Beach Birds

Yesterday I spent a few hours visiting some of the places close by that I always enjoy. I had friends with me from New Zealand who have been here before and really like these places as well. I think it is always more enjoyable with friends who share your enjoyment.
Seary's Creek picnic spot is along the road to Rainbow Beach. There is a short boardwalk down to a creek. The water in the creek is usually tea colored from the vegetation along the banks.

There are always lots of birds in the area - but they don't often cooperate with photo opportunities. I saw - and nearly got photos of - a Lewin's Honeyeater. When I got home and looked at my photos they were either blurred or only part of the bird was visible in the thick trees. This Silver Eye was high in a tree and against the light but the distinctive eye was clearly visible.

Rainbow Beach is always worth an extra look but there was a cold wind blowing and no-one in the water swimming.

We went up on the cliffs overlooking the beach to enjoy our afternoon tea.

The last stop for the afternoon was over at Carlo Creek. This has a boat ramp and wharf where the off-shore fishing charters start from. Of course there are also lots of small private fishing boats as well and the Pelicans know there is sometimes a free feed of fish given away! The tide was going out and these birds were resting on an exposed sand bank. Pelicans look so graceful swimming on the water but they turn into untidy bunches of feathers when they are resting on land.

There were others waiting around a small boat ramp.

This bird came for a closer look at us. The feet under the water move it along quite fast as seen by the wake behind the bird.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday.


32 comments:

  1. Oh, great captures for the day, Mick, as always!! I do love the birds and the water and what a beautiful place!! Thank you for sharing!! Enjoy your new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you chose these places to take your visitors, the scenery is beautiful. Gorgeous views of the water! Great sighting of the Silver Eye and I love the Pelican. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Silver Eyed bird and wonderful vista shots! Magnificent country !

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really inviting and the weather seems to be better than here in Germany...not so hot :D. LG Su

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Silver Eye is a tremendous bird and with what would seem to be a perfect name. I am more than a little jealous of your seemingly perfect skies and beautiful sandy beach We seem to be having a cool and cloudy "summer" - again. Love those Pelicans, such fascinating creatures when I see them at the zoo only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even your Pelican looks a little chilly, it has been a brrrrr month!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's often more fun to go birding with other birders and this is a neat place to go with friends - so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice beach scenes! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to see your part of the world and wildlife in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots of the pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them Pelicans Mick. Cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to take your friends to all those beautiful places and see some birds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last photo is my favorite!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is fun to have like minded company. Boy a lot of this reminds me of Florida! The tea colored water and the mangroves and of course the Pelicans. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely scenes Mick and I enjoyed those birds. Pelicans are a particular favorite of mine but I rarely get to see them, unless on holiday and I have to travel a ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like pelicans, but they are not the most elegant of birds on land!!
    Nice post.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful beach scenes...I really do like pelicans....the curious one that came in closer to your camera is an excellent shot!!! And that Silver Eye....extraordinary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it does look like a great place :) Love the pelicans :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely images, the last one is my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic post, Mick! Your tannin stained water is very similar to our coastal creeks here in Florida. What a great view from the cliffs to enjoy tea! I empathize with you about birds not cooperating when you hoist up a camera.

    (Sorry to have absent lately. Life and all that keeps interfering. Need to realign my priorities!)

    All the best -- Wally In Soggy, Humid Central Florida

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely pelicans. great silvereye!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your beaches and birds are so pretty! One day, I'll get over there and see some pelicans for myself. Until then, I love to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also enjoy sharing places I like to visit with people who visit me. I happen to have pelicans on my post too, not as close as yours though. I do like that last one with the drop of water even falling off the pelican's beak. Great captures and Rainbow Beach looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The last shot is a good one. You have so many great days at the beach there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a nice way to have tea. As for birds hiding out, I hear you! So frustrated sometimes by my inability to capture them quicker. I recently had a similar experience. Some bird photography is just impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautiful place to live. Someday we might make it that far, but leaving our float cabin on Powell Lake is a challenge. Glad you are enjoying "Beyond the Main." We are having more fun this summer with the barge and quads, but the extra heat we are getting makes riding except in the early morning and evenings quite a challenge. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome place to explore -- the pelicans are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete