Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lorikeets in the Callistemons

The other morning I heard a small flock of Rainbow Lorikeets settle down in the Callistemon trees in my backyard. I used to have Lorikeets in the yard all the time but then the Grevillea trees broke and had to be removed. I haven't yet replaced them and the Callistemons don't flower so prolifically or so frequently - so fewer Lorikeets than I used to see.
I planted Callistemons down the side of my property. Some of them didn't do well and have been taken out but others have just kept growing - and growing! The tops are a bit scraggly but they still flower. I photographed the Lorikeets on a beautiful sunny day and should have taken photographs of the trees at the same time. Instead you will have to imagine blue skies instead of cloudy grey skies.
Callistemons down the side.
Very Late Addition: The sky is blue this morning and I couldn't resist getting a better photo of the callistemons!

 Lorikeets were climbing all over the tops of the trees. Their green colored backs make them harder to see until they move and show the lovely rainbow colors.


For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday 

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday

25 comments:

  1. they are SO cute! glad you have some trees that still attract them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such a beautiful, colorful bird, Mick!! And your captures are superb as always!! Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous bird ~ Great shots and so colorful ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic colors! I can see how they would be overlooked if they had their back to you.
    We had these trees in the yard where I grew up in Miami in south Florida. My sister was allergic to the "bottle brush" blooms so I took great delight in holding them under her nose. My bottom hurts thinking about the spankings I received because of that tree.......

    Hope you're having a good start to the week, Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots of the Lorikeets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their name describes them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rainbow lorikeets always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely colourful birds! we get them here sometimes but not that much

    ReplyDelete
  9. What delightful bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you say Mick, until they turn over those lorikeets must melt into the greenery. They have amazing colours which you captured so well.

    By the way, here in England we get quite good at imagining blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the close ups. A beautiful bird. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so amazing to see all colours hanging in the trees ,Great shots ,Nette

    ReplyDelete
  13. But once you catch sight of that green and then see the rest of those colorful birds! I think it would seem like a small miracle at the very least. So beautiful ... And your trees and that blue sky are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute, colorful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful trees! The lorikeets are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful birds. Only a few down here and not often appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol, the Lorikeets son´t seem to care about up or down. Every direction seem ok.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some years ago I had a Bottlebrush Plant growing in my conservatory - no pretty birds in it though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even though I see them most days, I'm still amazed at the colour of these birds. Wonderful.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Lorikeets! Their colours are so cheerful and their characters are much the same with a lot of mischief thrown in.

    ReplyDelete