Monday, February 16, 2015

Perfect Kayaking

This morning was very close to perfect! The various weather sites predicted light winds but when I got on the water about 6:30 the winds were almost non-existent! It is not often that I see the bay as still as this!

Even out past the mangroves on the point there was still very little movement on the water.

Looking in to the sand spit where the shorebirds usually roost the birds were reflected in the water.

A number of Grey-tailed Tattlers and Terek Sandpipers flew off before I could get photos. The Pied Oystercatchers were there - but not the juvenile I saw a month or so ago. There were 8 Greenshanks along the sand spit. These birds are not easy to get close to but I sat very still on the kayak and just drifted in.

After this I kayaked back towards the car park...

...and then up the creek. I really enjoy kayaking on top of clouds reflected in the water.

From a distance I couldn't work out what the white thing was in the water under the mangroves. As I got closer I saw it was a float attached to a crab pot. I hope who-ever put it there actually got a crab when they came to take it out and didn't just find that someone else had helped themselves to whatever it contained!
A little further up the creek there is a low grassy bank but with the height of the tide this morning it was now underwater and I could float in there without moving again. There were a couple of Masked Lapwings and a single Greenshank making use of the shallow water.

For more scenery from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more birds visit Wild Bird Wednesday



24 comments:

  1. What a great day to be on the water if only it looks that good for the king tide on Thursday. Only I don't like the weather forecast for then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just beautiful watery reflections! looks like a great outing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful views of the water and the birds. The Masked Lapwing is one of my favorites. Great post, enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific captures, wonderful reflections and a beautiful look at your world, Mick!! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photographs. I love kayaking. One can really get close to things. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful images Mick. ..... I keep promising myself I will tackle kayaking at least once - perhaps your photos will give me the impetus I need to make it happen! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful series of photography of nature's beauty ~ so inviting ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ps. thanks for your supportive words for snowy New England!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect morning to be out kayaking Mick .... still waters make for such beautiful reflections and looks like you made the journey without tipping over and ruining your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reflections are gorgeous. You must be a very patient birder to drift in close enough for such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely wonderful. Like kayaking in the sky! Some of this looks a lot like our part of Florida, but the water looks clearer and there are birds that I've never seen (excep here on your blog). Truly a perfect day. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Floating on the clouds ... glorious reflective images Mick. How cool to get nice and close to the Greenshanks ... such an elegant wader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The water is beautiful. You have many wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful way to start the day. Quiet, floating on clouds, visiting the birds.
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful place. Very lovely reflection in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic scenery, reflections and waders seen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos!
    I especially like the reflections

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some great shots there Mick. It seems like Greenshanks are the same the world over, almost impossible to approach. Looks like I need to get a kayak as your slow and steady approach certainly worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful! If I decide to visit Australia once more I´ll come paddling with you. :) A great rime of the year for you it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shot of the G'shank.

    I may have been some birds on the sea - but you have this as a 'backyard'!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos of such a wonderful place to kayak! Love the shore birds!

    ReplyDelete