Tuesday, November 25, 2014

High Tide at Mullens Roost

Walking around to the Mullens roost becomes more interesting when the tide is very high. Just how deep is the water around that tree and would it be easier to scramble through the bushes behind the tide line?

High tide makes the roost look very beautiful.

I couldn't seen any shorebirds on my side of the roost until I walked around the south end. Then there were a few Red-capped Plovers and Red-necked Stints. Both of these shorebirds don't mind people coming quite close - which really helps a photographer!

Something disturbed the shorebirds on the other side of the roost and they all flew up then settled down again on that side.

However, a small flock of Lesser Sand Plovers flew over to my side - flew back again - then finally settled on my side.

I have never been able to get really close to Lesser Sand Plovers unless I have been in the kayak. Then I have been able to float to within a few feet of them. These ones let me close enough to get some recognizable photos but not close enough for really great photos.

For more photos from around the world visit Our World Tuesday

and for more bird photos visit Wild Bird Wednesday.

23 comments:

  1. I really like the name. I had to blow the pics up and compare them to our Least Sandpipers and I can see the difference. Sandpipers are incredibly awesome little peeps:) I've found that if we're in or on a floating object, the birds don't seem to mind if the craft only goes at a certain speed. Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely series of water shots and beautiful wildlife! ~

    Happy Thanksgiving in the USA
    artmusedog and carol
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images, it is hard to get close enough to wildlife sometimes. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty shorebirds and scenery, Mick! I really love the cute Red-capped Plovers. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful captures of lovely birds, Mick, as always! And, as always, thanks for sharing the beauty!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shorebirds. It's close enough if you can identify them! I never think of high tide as being a good shorebird viewing time. But for you it sure was! Beautiful scenery as well as great birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's weird sometimes how a species can be relatively approachable and then a related one can be just the opposite. I think it is something to do with each species experiences with the human race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos of the shorebirds. They're very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Plovers are so cute. Great Photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb shots of beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Mick You certainly saw and shot a good number of waders. Lovely place to go birding

    ReplyDelete
  13. I does seem a lovely place to take in the shorebirds. Its not often that theyare tolerant of humans so you do well to have these species that at least give you a chance for photography.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing the water type birds, since we are not so much around water here~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely little birds you captured. The only plovers I've ever seen are the ones in the cow pastures around the house, but they don't have any red--just yellow faces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pics of shore birds, I never get close enough to tell them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures - it is strange how some birds are so much more tolerant than others.

    The Englishness of some older children's book is very clear when you see them today - but at least they did not just advertise TV programs and toys!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photos! Great that you were able to get close to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post and such lovely shots! Have a great week ahead!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  20. to me it is very interesting to watch how the birds coems and goes with the tide. Something I don´t see in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful bird shots.

    ReplyDelete