Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kayaking in the Morning

This morning was almost perfect! It was warm, the tide was early, there was almost no wind!  The only question was whether all the aches and sprains that have been bothering me over the last few months were going to make kayaking too difficult.  They didn't! I had a great time - although I only planned a short paddle for this first morning.
I set off from the Mullens picnic ground and kayaked south around the mangroves that line the creek. This is looking nearly east into the sun and it is difficult to get more than a silhouette photo.

 The roost we call the "Airport Roost" is just around there.  Sometimes there are only a few birds there but this morning I counted over 160 birds.  I kept well out from the sandbank where they roost and then edged in behind a small mangrove bush.  The birds were still and I did a count.  However, I decided to get off the kayak to take some photos (the water was only about thigh deep).  The birds still didn't move but as soon as I opened the locks on the Pelican Case to take out my camera all the Godwits took off.  Any noise which is not part of the normal environment frightens them,  and I was just too close.  (N.B. for next time!  Open the case when I am well out on the bay and then be careful not to fall off when I get closer!)  There were about 100 Godwits in the flock that took off.  The birds that stayed were just a few Greenshanks, Grey-tailed Tattlers, Terek Sandpipers, and Pacific Golden Plovers, plus the 2 Pied Oystercatchers that are usually on this stretch of beach.



Paddling back around the point and along the deeper water of the creek it is always beautiful looking back towards the beach and the car park.

The creek winds back inland quite a way and I was planning on going up there a way to see what birds might be using that area.

Before I had a chance to go any further a small plane came in from the north and dropped down towards the small grass air strip which is just a little way behind the trees.  The noise was enough to scare up another 30 or so Whimbrels that must have been roosting in mangroves further up the creek.

Back on the beach there were a couple of fellows just taking off on Paddle Boards. It certainly was a nice still morning for it.
For more great photos from around the world visit Our World Tuesday.



14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos - I've recently taken up Kayaking, I really enjoyed my first paddle out on Moreton Bay. Your photos capture why this is the perfect pastime here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the twisty tree and roots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back on the water it was a beautiful morning wish I had our kayak with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me miss Florida -- not so strange, as there are so many similarities with the mangroves and climate (apparently). Lots of birds -- a wonderful kayak day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend your morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen from over here, close of being a dream.

    Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the paddle boards but you couldn't take photos at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes! A great way to spend any time and what great captures for the day!! Thanks for sharing the fun!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a pretty place to kayak and paddle! Too bad at the birds taking off, sounds like a great sighting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful shots ~ amazing country ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of pictures - looks like a splendid morning.

    One of the reasons I got up is the Buff Banded Rail have been seen near the creek along which I walked - but no luck!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had such ideal conditions for your foray. That roost area is really a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kayaking; something I used to enjoy a lot. A great place to be photographing from too. Lovely scenes..

    ReplyDelete
  14. paddle borade? That seems risky. :) Seems like a very nice day for you. Lots of great sightings and shots. My kayak is gone now. So I have paddled my last season. I´m going to miss it even if it was hard work the past two years.

    ReplyDelete