Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Light On The Bay

This post is for World Bird Wednesday.

I enjoy walking along the bay down from the Mullens picnic area.  It's closer to my home than any other area of the bay and there is also a sandy edge for when the tide is well in.  I take more photos there than anywhere else because when I am there first thing in the morning the light is constantly changing.  Changing light changes one's perceptions of everything else as well.
This Little Egret was walking almost directly between me and the rising sun but only a minute later it had walked around me and looked quite different. 

This group of Pelicans were almost in silhouette when I first saw them. 

When they moved further along the bay their colors became visible. 

They were moving in what looked like a stately line along the bay but they must have been driving fish ahead of them because every now and again there would be splashes and flutters from part of the line as some of the birds competed to catch fish. 
 I think the most magical time on the bay is when rain showers are passing through.  Passing clouds change the sense of distance and objects on the far side of the bay are veiled.  This is the only time when I have not yet taken photos which catch the magic I see.  I keep trying!  These last two photos are the only ones I have done a little post processing on.  


22 comments:

  1. the first and last shots were my favorites! gorgeous light/color - or perhaps lack thereof? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool to see the pelicans lined up like that. :) And Egrets are always good to see. I wish we had them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots! Love the pelicans, such cool birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots of the Pelicans driving fish Mick! They certainly are good at that fishing technique. I really like that last shot too. What are those plants sticking up out of the water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all your comments.
    Larry, I should have said that the plants are small mangrove trees just putting down roots and beginning to shoot up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooohhhh that egret, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! Magical is the word to describe the pelicans shots. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved seeing the shots with and without colour. My favourite is the one of the pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there - great set of pictures.

    Glad you liked the swallow shot - especially the amount of sky. I should have posted some of the (many) others that had nothing but sky!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Words and photos together made a enjoyable post, thank you! You got me to totally different world compared with my still very chilly early spring world.
    Thank you also for your comment on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures!
    A quiet morning is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great post! I love pelicans!
    Happy WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the egrets and the Pelicans. Lovely shots, Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots, love the line of pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first golden photo is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great series! The line of Pelicans look like they are performing in a sychronized swim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The atmosphere in these is amazing.
    Great job on the backlighting, I find that so hard to get a handle on.
    Cheers Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful images! so lovely in the changing light. I don't think I've ever seen that many Pelicans in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pelican shots are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the first two photos, the silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it lovely to be up early in the morning ... so glad you take your camera with you!! We've noticed that elicans do kind of herd fish -- it's a team effort.

    ReplyDelete