Monday, April 19, 2010

Garden Birds

It's rather exciting to know that the plantings in my yard are now attracting small birds. When I first came here nearly 7 years ago there was nothing but overgrown grass and weeds. This was a new housing subdivision and everything had been leveled to make it easy to build. I put up wire fences to keep my dog and cat at home then started planting all the perimeters so I could look out at green growth rather than more houses. I noticed as I walked around the nearby streets that grevilleas attracted lots of honey-eating birds so they went in next. That brought in all the bigger honeyeaters and especially the Lorikeets. It wasn't until a year ago that I noticed another shrub that was attracting a lot of small birds. I found out it was another grevillea - Grevillea 'Orange Marmalade'- but with a much less showy flower. I immediately bought one from the nursery and planted it. Now this is where I see the smaller birds on most days. Of course the trees that I planted have also now grown to a good height and the small birds fly up into these if they feel threatened.
The Brown Honeyeaters came into the garden even before I had planted much that attracted them and they have kept coming. They frequently go into the bigger grevillea flowers but seem to prefer the smaller flowers on the Grevillea 'Orange Marmalade'. For the last couple of months White-throated Honeyeaters have also been coming in regularly. I seldom saw them before this. They only come into the Grevillea 'Orange Marmalade'.Now I am starting to look at the front garden again. I planted a number of flowering trees and shrubs there but none of them seem to attract the birds. I wonder if there is room for just a few more shrubs that will bring the birds into that part of the yard as well?
For more bird photos visit the Bird Photography Weekly.

30 comments:

  1. ...there's always room for another plant (at least that's what I say!). I love gardening for the birds as well. Everything I plant now seems to be for the birds in some way or another. Glad you're bringing in the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so! Haven't worked out where yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to get birds in the garden. I am also in a new subdivision - Grevillea "orange marmalade" has done on my list!! Thanks Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony, hope it works down your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plant the trees and they will come! I'm happy for you that all these lovely birds are now coming to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two beautiful honeyeaters there! Plenty of bush up behind us but very little in the way of heavy nectar producing plants. I've planted heaps of banksia, grevillea, and hakea closer to the house which are gradually taking shape. The first banksia opened just last week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob.
    Hi Mosura, all those trees should certainly coax in some birds. The banksias I planted are not big enough to flower heavily yet and strangely the callistemon haven't attracted a lot of birds - lots of flowers and insects but few birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They will come in time just have to wait a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, that's so great to see all them Beauties in ones own yard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nicole, it makes the gardening worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and it is great to enjoy the birds visiting your yard and plantings. Great photos. I have chosen plants and berry bushes for my yard to attract my birds and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Eileen, So far I only have Honeyeaters coming to my yard. I like your idea of berries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful bird and setting! It must be great to see different birds come and go in your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great that your forward planning has been rewarded. Always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how cool! i'm glad your yard is starting to become nice habitat for the birds, very cool. Great shots too, i love the second guy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for commenting Mumsy John and JN - I must admit that there are a few things that I SHOULD have done differently - but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mick
    I am not familiar with the White-throated Honeyeater, but I know its cousin, the White-naped, from Canberra days.
    Gardens are wonderful for birds.
    I get so many birds here it is almost an embarrassment.
    Bowerbirds are very greedy and destructive, unfortunately, but I still love them.
    Spinebills love the red Salvias.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done Mick - creating a garden for the birds is a rewarding activity both for you and the birds that you are attracting. I too have admired the Orange marmalade Grevillea but it is not suitable for the wet tropics. I'm not complaining, we are able to grow a good range of alternatives!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Denis, I don't get all the birds that are just over the road in the National Park - can't expect to when that is a perfect place for them. There are a few more I'd like to see here more often but that will be a matter of finding what else to plant to coax them here.

    Hi Barbara, unfortunately my garden in no way approaches the beautiful environment you have shown in the photos of your place. Nevertheless the little that I have managed is very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's wonderful to watch a wildlife-friendly garden come to life! You were so smart to watch the birds and see what attracted them.

    And I say go for it, fit in a few more plants in the front. It will be worth it for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wren, I'm going to try to change the front a bit but I will need to change the shape of the existing garden beds to fit another shrub in - it will take time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Birding gardeners always have room for more shrubs, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure, Tony! I shall try!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Today you show nice garden birds. :) And I am happy that I finally got my kayak wet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks NatureFootstep - and glad you've got your kayak out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gardening for the birds is THE way to go Mick. Trees, shrubs, berries and flowers all contribute to a beautiful yard and more birds to watch. Congrats on attracting your feathered friends and having a beautiful yard too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for commenting Larry and Lana.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very beautiful birds, gorgeous photos!

    http://modaninkuslari.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete