Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ospreys

I don't know why but some weeks there are so many interesting things to photograph and then one tends to get behind in posting!
Last week I kayaked with friends over to have a look at an Osprey nest that I have watched for several years. It is a little out of the way so there would seldom be anything to disturb the birds at their nest. This morning there was quite a lot of noise coming from two birds both sitting on top of the nest. I thought at first that it might be young birds making their usual noisy demands of their parents. However, when we got closer we saw that both birds were adult. They flew off the nest and then put on a wonderful display overhead which appeared to be part of a pair bonding exercise. They swooped and soared and went past in a normal flight position and also with their legs and feet extended below them. I am told that sometimes when displaying like this they will even pass sticks between each other while on the wing. There is quite a difference in the patterns and colors underneath the birds which I am also told shows male and female. The female (Hope I have remembered this correctly!) has the darker band around the neck.

This post is for Bird Photography Weekly.

12 comments:

  1. Or it could be a juvenile. ID's seldom simple :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony, I've been told the juvenile is very similar - but would the two have been doing all those fancy aerial manoeuvres if one were just a juvenile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. didn't make clear. Meant dark collar could, in general, signify juvenile or female. Your birds seem surely to be adult pair bonding or rebonding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mick,
    Stunning birds. I'm yet to see one in the flesh. Benn meaning to ask, do you have any difficulty keeping cameras and binoculars dry during the kayaking? Sounds a great way to get about to me. (Might be a blog there?)
    Regards,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching birds do there courtship behavior, especially raptors. They engage in some incredible maneuvers. It looks as if you had a great time watching these two go at it Mick! Nice photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gouldiae, re the camera on the kayak - I have a Pelican bag which is totally sealed and only take the camera out when I can be sure that I am steady on the kayak - that is not too much wind or waves rocking me! I also have a small towel to dry my hands if they get wet. I certainly wouldn't risk good equipment otherwise! Oh yes, the pelican bag is firmly attached to the kayak with a piece of chord just in case!!

    Hi Larry, it was very exciting watching those two birds. I have often been quite close to nests and roosting birds but never before seen a display like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very seldom that I see two Ospreys together and you were very lucky to photograph both at the same time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bob and Cynthia, it wasn't easy to get both in the same photo as it meant changing the zoom level and then they appeared too distant. Quite a number of shots with one and a 'half' birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lucky you - what a fabulous display to observe.

    And you're absolutely correct that blogable moments don't distribute themselves on a convenient schedule. Most annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....I can't help on the ID..just in awe of the photos and being able to see them in person... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michelle, it was exciting for me to see them too.

    ReplyDelete